WHY THE TREASURE VALLEY NEEDS DEER FLAT
Why the Treasure Valley Needs Deer Flat
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You” – Dr. Seuss
I don’t think we can call this statement by Dr. Seuss, complex, but I definitely would call it profound. This year will be the 110th birthday for Deer Flat Church, that’s a whole lot of years! As I reflect upon why that’s significant, my mind takes me to the classic Christmas movie, It’s a Wonderful Life, in which an angel is sent from Heaven to help a desperately frustrated businessman by showing him what life would have been like if he had never existed. I then began to ponder what if that angel came and showed us what life would have been like if Deer Flat never existed? Had Deer Flat never existed, would our valley be any different?
Since I didn’t get that encounter with an angel, I can only speak to the countless men and women who have shared with me their testimony of how God has used Deer Flat to impact their lives in such profound ways. So, for today, I’d like to look forward to the future, and apply Dr. Seuss’s statement to Deer Flat personally.
Today Deer Flat is Deer Flat, that is truer than true. There is no church alive who is Deer Flatier than Deer Flat. We don’t plan to let the past 110 years of Deer Flat just be history we ride on, we are committed to seeing God do even greater things. I’d like to propose 3 things this statement means for Deer Flat’s present and moving forward:
- We can be ourselves – We are unique. We are part of the Kingdom of God and still uniquely ourselves. We will look different by not conforming to the patterns of this world. We are a church off the beaten path, holy (set apart), a refuge in the middle of a beet field.
- We can make a difference – Part of making a difference means being different. Different from the world, a place where our community will find grace and truth. We will be the hands and feet of Christ to our valley. We will represent what it really means to love God and love people.
- We can be a lighthouse – In a world that looks very grey, we will be black and white, a contrast to culture. We will be a place that people will see from far away. We will be a strong tower helping weary travelers to navigate through the storms of life. We will point everyone to Jesus!
Author Vinoth Ramachandra wrote, “Christian salvation lies not in an escape from this world but in the transformation of this world.” More than ever our community needs us to continue partnering with Christ in seeing lives transformed. Today Deer Flat is Deer Flat, that is truer than true. There is no church alive who is Deer Flatier than Deer Flat.
In conclusion, the Treasure Valley needs Deer Flat… Let’s do this!
A couple of other things
· This Sunday, following each service, you will have opportunity to enter the new building and write prayers, scripture, your name, etc. on the studs and walls. Please be giving thought to what you would like write. You will enter through the door on the temporary wall in the lobby.
· Please pray and consider contacting our Canyon County Senators regarding Senate Bill 1243. It is soon to be voted on by the entire Senate. This bill would make it mandatory to give out information to every woman in Idaho having a chemical abortion. If she has only taken the first abortion pill and changes her mind, there is a way to reverse the process and save the life of her baby.
E-mail info and phone numbers to contact our Senators can be found at www.legislature.idaho.gov/senate/membership.
Our Canyon County Senators are:
Jeff Agenbroad - District 13
Todd Lakey - Dist 12
Abby Lee - Dist 9
Patti Anne Lodge - Dist 11
Jim Rice - Dist 10